Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Summer of 2015 & I’m STILL Discontented (FREE #LeonardPeltier)!

"I’m afraid that Prison Reform will start and end with only “nonviolent drug offenders” while other Prisoners who have been equally given unjust, prejudicial, and racist sentencing will be forgotten…you know like Leonard Peltier."


July 13, 2015

Dear President Obama and Others who should be concerned,

You hear from me often so I’m going to get right to it. Last summer I sent you a letter entitled, “2014; The Summer of My Discontent Letter” (FREE #LeonardPeltier)! By no means is this current letter the first you’ve received in 2015, but to continue a trend, let me call this particular letter, Summer of 2015 & I’m STILL Discontented (FREE #LeonardPeltier)!”.

As I have said numerous times a discussion about Federal Prisoner Leonard Peltier – 89637-132 fits in nicely to just about any discussion where the topic of InJustice comes into play; there are so many topics within that broad subject. Let’s be honest. Marriage Equality is a tremendous coup for America in the Human Rights arena, but in far too many other areas we are woefully lacking when it comes to upholding Human Rights for other members of our society. Economically Marriage Equality will be a positive boon for our Country; this however will not be the case for others equally worthy of Human Rights. It’s hard to even know where to start but as I’m thinking specifically of Leonard Peltier, for the moment the focus needs to be on Prisoner Rights and Prison Reform….both Federally and for States/Territories.

To say that the Penal System is in dire need of Reform is an understatement. I applaud those who have committed to making a change that will be better for all involved. I’ve read numerous reports and articles on the subject and I have to say that some of them seem promising while others are clueless to what needs to be done. I understand that at the federal level the push is to release “nonviolent drug offenders”. To be certain the laws surrounding illicit drug use have been twisted with prejudicial interpretations that allow sentencing with harsher limits be put upon racial/ethnic minorities. So this is a likely place to start. But I have deep concerns; I’m afraid that Prison Reform will start and end with only “nonviolent drug offenders” while other Prisoners who have been equally given unjust, prejudicial, and racist sentencing will be forgotten…you know like Leonard Peltier .

More:  https://mommofo2.wordpress.com/2015/07/13/summer-of-2015-im-still-discontented-free-leonardpeltier/

Do you have something to say to Mr. Obama about the recent commutations?  Call 202-456-1111, send an email to http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/submit-questions-and-comments, tweet to @POTUS, or write him a letter:  Barack Obama, The White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC  20500.


No comments: