Sunday, June 28, 2015

Guantánamo Prisoner On Nine-Year Hunger Strike Will Be Released

A prisoner who has been on a nine-year hunger strike to protest against his confinement at the US base at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, can now return to his native Saudi Arabia, a government review board said on Friday. The Periodic Review Board, which has been re-evaluating dozens of Guantánamo prisoners previously deemed too dangerous to release, said in a statement published on its website that Abdul Rahman Shalabi can be released to take part in a Saudi government rehabilitation program for militants and would be subject to monitoring afterward. Shalabi, 39, was among the first prisoners taken to Guantánamo in January 2002. He was never charged with a crime but the government said he had been a bodyguard for Osama bin Laden and had links to the external operations chief for al-Qaida, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, who is facing trial by military commission at Guantánamo.

More:  http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/26/guantanamo-prisoner-hunger-strike-released-saudi-Arabia

No comments: