Saturday, May 23, 2015

Driving While Indian: A Refresher Course

...The public debate over police violence against unarmed black men has reminded me of the same police treatment of Native men and the palpable lack of public concern. The August 2014 report by the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice notes that the racial group most likely to be killed by law enforcement is Native Americans. It's painful to consider and not much fun to write about, but I must. Like so many frail humans, I try to ignore pain until it touches me personally.

"Driving while Indian" isn't a skill I want to know, nor is it something I want to pass along to my children. I would prefer to loll comfortably in racial anonymity here in my home in Southern Ohio, where race is primarily about black and white.


Read more at http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2015/05/18/driving-while-indian-refresher-course


No comments: